Aomori Hiba Kitchen Cutting Board – Wasabi x Japana – Small
This Japanese Cutting Board has the right harness and excellent blade contact that will help you protect your knives. Aomori Hiba is one of the best materials for cutting boards and has a long-lasting rich, refreshing wooden smell which will fill your home with a sense of being surrounded by nature.
– The board comes in a white neat minimalist box with a golden stamp of originality
– Small size: 38x 20.5 x 3cm
The Aomori Hiba cutting board
Although often overlooked, the cutting board is perhaps the most essential (after knives) tool in your kitchen for meal prep. Our Aomori Hiba Japanese Cutting Board is made of Japanese Aomori Hiba trees which have excellent characteristics, they are light, anti-bacterial, anti-allergic, ultra-lightweight, and anti-stain, making it a great material for cutting boards. They are durable and have a distinct fragrance similar to pine.
We want you to enjoy our products for a long time, so Wasabi x Japana products are made with such a heart and spirit. Our finishing is basically non-coating because we would like you to enjoy the original refreshing smell, warm touch, beautiful grain of natural wood with your five senses. This way, you can enjoy changes of textures over the years, which is one of the good old Japanese senses.
Once you open a box, you will smell the rich refreshing wooden aroma, which is a trait of Aomori Hiba long-lasting natural sense. Since we really would like you to enjoy the aroma, we gently wrapped it by Japanese wrapping foil. It keeps the aroma inside but never disturbs the wood breathing. That is Wasabi’s packaging secret. The board comes in a white neat minimalist box with a golden stamp of originality. It works well for an official gift. Our Aomori Hiba Japanese Cutting Board carries Japanese signature of Wasabi x Japana.
Aomori Hiba wood
There are three kinds of woods known as Three Japanese Precious Woods called Aomori Hiba, Kiso Hinoki and Akita Sugi that we use in our materials. They are known for their superior quality and sturdiness and have been used to build shines, temples and traditional reception rooms.
Aomori Hiba includes more of Hinokitiol, an ingredient that kills more bacteria than any other wood. It contains anti-bacterial and anti-mold properties. In addition to the effect, hinokitiol has an odour eliminating any ammonia smells.
This is why cutting boards made of Aomori Hiba have a long established good reputation and are widely present in Japanese homes. They are used by Japanese professional chefs as superior quality boards.
It allows you to cut food more comfortably with less slippery on the board. This wood is also better for your knife’s edge, which means the sharpness of your kitchen knives lasts longer and is hygienic.
Our Aomori Hiba Cutting Boards are made of solid natural wood and we never use glue to stick them or chemical coating for protection purposes. Because every single piece is made by craftsmen with delicate care, we cannot produce on a large scale, however, we always check the quality by ourselves under the strict inspection criteria for you, our important customers.
Aomori Hiba grows up slowly and firmly in a harsh natural environment, the craftsmen we work with process it very carefully paying it respect. You can feel the craftsman’s soul when you see it’s finishing surface.
|Dimensions||42 × 23.5 × 3 cm|
Preparation before use
- Wash both sides of a board with a soft sponge and a kitchen mild detergent before your first use. Rinse it well. A board impregnated with water has the effect to reduce getting food’s juice or smell into the board while keeping original Aomori Hiba scent for longer.
Daily care and maintenance
- After use of a board, please wash it using a soft sponge with a kitchen mild detergent. Rinse it well, before wiping off any water to keep in dry condition.
- When you sterilise, wash it with a kitchen mild detergent first, then pour boiling water over a board. If you don’t wash it before the disinfecting, smell of foods may remain.
- If you use bleaching agent, impregnate a board with water before applying the bleach to avoid getting the smell into the board.
- Avoid direct sunlight. Ideally, put a board in an airy place in the shade when you dry outside. Direct sunlight may cause warps or cracks.
- If darkening appears, wash a board using a sponge with a cleaner.
- Dark areas and spots can be removed by polishing with 200 grit of sandpaper. You may also apply bicarbonate soda with a water. Leave such mix on stained areas for a couple of areas, then rinse with water. Note that some stains cannot be removed perfectly depending on the depth of scratch by knife cuts.
- Avoid using a dishwasher or dryer for cleaning board. Any harsh detergents or high temperature might cause serious damage, deterioration, warp and crack.
Precautions for Use
- Since this product is made of natural wood, little warp may happen, depending on how humid your environment is. It is unavoidable due to characteristics of a material. If it happens, get a surface of a board wet, then put the convex surface up and leave it for a couple of hours. It will be restored to an original condition.
- Do not dry a board by putting it into a microwave or oven as it may crack.
- Note that washing with a hard material like a scrubber might cause bruises on a board.